Applications have been made for the licensing of additional electronic gaming machines (poker machines) in Mparntwe. This is bad news. Poker machines cause harm. They are designed to make a profit for the big company that owns them, and not for the person using the machine.
As a strong advocate for Aboriginal health, Congress objects to the applications for these reasons:
- Alice Springs already has too many poker machines – 3 times the national average per adult!
- Problem gambling is a bigger problem in Alice Springs than the rest of the NT.
- Gambling already causes too many problems for families here in Alice Springs who already have a lot of other worries.
- People in the NT are much less likely to get help for their gambling problems.
- There wasn’t enough talk to community about this before it happened.
- There is a strong link between the number of poker machines in a place and domestic violence. No one wants more violence or crime.
You can read more about these reasons in our full letter of objection.
Want to send a message about this? Your voice is important and you can take action.
Objections can come from anyone, including you!
- Objections against the application for Uncle’s Tavern close 16 August 2022
- Objections against the application for the Mercure close 29 August 2022