Congress has a strong commitment to research at both a strategic and operational level. Prior to 2015 there was no separate research function within the organisation. In 2015, Congress added a research section, operating under the Public Health Division. This relatively new service area has grown from undertaking limited formal research to managing research projects of varying complexities under the leadership and administration of a research manager and support from a research team. We have employed over 20 local researchers, with the majority being Aboriginal, on over 10 different research projects with as many different partners.
Congress is a founding member of the Central Australian Academic Health Science Network, a partnership between health services, health/medical research organisations and educational institutions in Central Australia with the aim of undertaking collaborative work to benefit the health of Central Australians.
Congress partners with research institutions across Australia to conduct research in the following areas that are in line with our research priorities:
1. Clinical care
2. Health promotion and disease prevention
Read the Congress' Research Strategy here.
Congress is committed to:
- Conduct collaborative world class research that translates to development of a comprehensive evidence base to guide effective practice and policy;
- Develop sustainable research capacity in health and medical research especially within the Aboriginal community controlled primary health care sector;
- Promote best practice approaches to clinical service delivery and public health;
- Promote engagement of Aboriginal people in research, health and healthcare;
- Adhere to standards of the Central Australian Human Research Ethics Committee; and
- Adhere to the National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) Ethical Guidelines for Research with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples.
Partner with Us
To assist in understanding our governance processes, check out the Congress Research Approval Flowchart.
To make an application to conduct research in partnership with Congress, complete and submit a research application form.
Research applications will be considered against the Congress Research Assessment Criteria Guidelines.
Submissions and enquiries should be sent to email@example.com four (4) weeks prior to the research subcommittee meeting (see Congress Board Meeting Dates)
Forms and Downloads
- Research Expression of Interest Form
- Research Application Form
- Research Assessment Criteria Guidelines
- Research Progress Report Template
- Research Final Report Template
- Visiting Researcher Checklist
- Research Strategy 2019-2023
- Congress Strategic Plan 2019-2023
|2019 CONGRESS BOARD MEETING DATES|
|Research Submission Deadline||Research Subcommittee Meeting||Congress Board|
|N/A||Thursday 14 February 2019*||Thursday 28 February 2019*|
|Thursday 7 March 2019||Thursday 4 April 2019||Wednesday 17 April 2019|
|Thursday 9 May 2019||Thursday 6 June 2019||Thursday 27 June 2019|
|Thursday 11 July 2019||Thursday 8 August 2019||Thursday 22 August 2019|
|Thursday 22 July 2019||Thursday 19 September 2019||Thursday 10 October 2019|
|Thursday 17 October 2019||Thursday 14 November 2019||Wednesday 27 November 2019|
*no new research applications will be reviewed at this meeting
NB: Dates subject to change
|REMOTE BOARD MEETING DATES 2019|
|Research Submission Deadline||Board Meeting Dates|
|Tuesday 19 February 2019||Tuesday 19 March 2019|
|Tuesday 9 April 2019||Tuesday 7 May 2019|
|Tuesday 11 June 2019||Tuesday 9 July 2019|
|Tuesday 20 August 2019||Tuesday 17 September 2019|
|NTARIA / HERMANNSBURG (WAHAC)|
|Wednesday 23 January 2019||Wednesday 20 February 2019|
|Wednesday 3 April 2019||Wednesday 1 May 2019|
|Wednesday 5 June 2019||Wednesday 3 July 2019|
|Wednesday 7 August 2019||Wednesday 4 September 2019|
|Thursday 7 February 2019||Thursday 7 March 2019|
|Wednesday 17 April 2019||Wednesday 15 May 2019|
|Wednesday 19 June 2019||Wednesday 17 July 2019|
|Wednesday 4 September 2019||Wednesday 2 October 2019|
|AREYONGA / UTJU|
|Tuesday 26 February 2019||Tuesday 26 March 2019|
|Tuesday 23 April 2019||Tuesday 21 May 2019|
|Tuesday 2 July 2019||Tuesday 30 July 2019|
|Tuesday 17 September 2019||Tuesday 15 October 2019|
|Tuesday 5 February 2019||Tuesday 5 March 2019|
|Monday 29 April 2019||Monday 27 May 2019|
|Tuesday 25 June 2019||Tuesday 23 July 2019|
|Tuesday 24 September 2019||Tuesday 22 October 2019|
NB: Dates subject to change
For more information, contact the research manager at firstname.lastname@example.org or (08) 8958 4898.