Mpwelarre Health Aboriginal Corporation (Santa Teresa Health Centre)
Situated approximately one hour south east of Alice Springs on a dirt track, Santa Teresa provides primary health care to the community of roughly 500 people.
The Santa Teresa Clinic first began as a service run by the Catholic Nuns and then was run by the local Council. In 2008, the Clinic became registered under ORIC as Mpwelarre Health Aboriginal Corporation and was auspiced by Central Australian Aboriginal Congress.
Services Provided by Santa Teresa Health Centre
Santa Teresa Clinic provides the following services to the community:
- Primary Health Care
- Alcohol & Other Drug Service (AOD)
- Social Emotional & Wellbeing (SEWB) Counselling Service
- Exercise Physiologist Service
- Chronic Disease Education
About the Team
With a staffing profile of 22, Santa Teresa has the following positions:
- General Practitioner (GP)
- Aboriginal Health Practitioners (AHP)
- Remote Area Nurses (RAN)
- Aboriginal Liaison Officer
Santa Teresa also provide access to visiting specialists such as the Dietitian and Exercise Physiologist.
Many locals working in the Santa Teresa Clinic are able to speak Eastern Arrente (local language) which enhances the level of service.
Monday to Friday, 08:00am - 4:30pm
Nurse on-call after hours, weekends and public holidays for emergencies.
A daily bus operates between the Clinic and Alice Springs for patients. To enquire about this service please contact the clinic.
Every client is entitled to:
- Receive appropriate health services of a high standard as quickly as circumstances reasonably permit
- Be informed about health matters relevant to them and about available health services
- Participate in making decisions dealing with their health
- Actively participate in their own health care
- Be provided with health services in a respectful and considerate way
- Privacy and confidentiality
- See any information about their own health
- Complain about a service without fear of losing the service or suffering recrimination
Every client should:
- Respect the rights of other clients and Health Service staff
- Consider and recognize the valuable contribution made by others in the provision of their health care
- Take responsibility for decisions they make regarding their own health care
- Cooperate with Santa Teresa Health Service in the provision of quality health services provision to all of the Community
Contact Santa Teresa Health Centre
Telephone: 08 8956 0911
Facsimile: 08 08 8956 06910