Western Aranda Health Aboriginal Corporation (WAHAC)
The historic community of Hermannsburg is located 130 kilometres west of Alice Springs and the base for the Western Aranda Health Aboriginal Corporation (WAHAC).
The Western Aranda Health Aboriginal Corporation was established in 1993 and is the regional, community-controlled health service governed by a Board consisting of nine Aboriginal representatives of Ntaria, Wallace Rock Hole, Areyonga and Tjuwanpa Outstations, some of whom currently work or have worked as Aboriginal Health Workers in the region.
- Commitment to preventative, public and primary health approaches to health care resources and health information
- Improve access to services
- Equity in resource allocation
- Culturally appropriate services and information
- Increase participation and employment opportunities for aboriginal people through ACW, AHW, drivers
- Establish organisation path to a community control in the WAHAC region
- Principles of community control guided by elected representatives of the WAHAC health board
- Holistic view of health
- Two way information flow in all consultation
- Collaborative Intersectorial health service network action
Services Provided at WAHAC
- GP Service
- Transportation service for clients to attend appointments
- Facilitate community health development initiatives
- Coordinated programmed approach to community social and emotional wellbeing
- Advocate for essential community development resources
- Participate and support relevant research activities to improve community health
- Extended Health Service delivery for identified priority core primary health care programs—maternal and child health, men’s health, chronic disease, alcohol and drugs, social and emotional wellbeing
About the Team
- Health Service Manager
- General Practitioner
- Alcohol & Other Drugs Pracitioner
- Maternal & Child Health Coordinator
- Chronic Disease Nurse (Male)
- Chronic Disease Nurse (Female)
- Male Wellbeing Centre Coordinator
- Family Wellbeing Coordinator
- Community Based Workers -
- Patient Transport Drivers
WAHAC Opening Hours
Office: Monday to Friday 8:30am-17:00pm
Patient Transport as required and booked through Ntaria Health Clinic.
Transportation service for clients to attend prearranged medical specialist appointments.
WAHAC is an advocacy service for issues surrounding primary health care delivery and program management for Ntaria, Wallace Rock Hole, Areyonga and Tjuwanpa Outstations.
Telephone: 08 8956 7433 (Ntaria Clinic), 08 8954 8888 (WAHAC Office)