Children & Families
Ampe Mwarre-ileme (Child Health) Program
The Ampe Mwarre-ileme Program is an outreach program working with children with a chronic disease aged 0-15 years.
Ampe Mwarre-ileme works with families who have children aged 0-15 who have a chronic illness and who live in social circumstances which may compromise the health and well being of the children. Chronic conditions include diabetes, failure to thrive, chronic lung disease, anaemia, cardiac diseases and other long term conditions.
We understand that it can be difficult for some families to manage their child’s illness, so our aim is to help to build the capacity of families in order to deal with their child’s unique health needs. We work alongside parents and guardians to find ways that help the children to manage their illness and to overcome some of the difficulties that they may face.
Services provided by the Child Health team
- We visit families in their homes and talk about how to look after the children.
- We may weigh babies; deliver medication; talk about healthy eating for strong blood and good weight.
- We can assist with transport to appointments.
- We assist families with completing forms.
- We can support and advocate for families with Centrelink and NT Housing.
- We can refer to other organisations who may be able to support families such as childcare, child development teams and other health and welfare services.
- We can talk to schools about how to support children with chronic illnesses.
- We have a social gathering “Angkeme” once a month where we sit down with some good tucker and have a yarn about things like skin conditions, diabetes, ear problems, personal and environmental hygiene and self protection for teenage girls. It is a relaxed, easy, get together where parents can ask questions, kids can have a run around and we all enjoy a nice lunch.
About the Team
The dedicated, professional and deadly team members include:
- Gillian Murray - Team Leader
- Elise Daly - Registered Nurse
- Scott Weily - Registered Nurse
- Mick Walker - Aboriginal Family Support Worker
- Marjorie Naylon - Aboriginal Family Support Worker
- Dr Wakinyan Tabart - General Practitioner
- Social Worker - position vacant
Child Health Team Operating Hours
Monday to Friday, 08:30am - 17:00pm
Our aim is to support families to look after the health and welfare of their children, so we will help our clients to get to appointments at the hospital, clinics, Centrelink, NT Housing and other places.
We have two Aboriginal Family Support Workers, one male and one female. They provide assistance when required by acting as cross-cultural workers with families of children on the program.
Your Rights as a Client
Contact the Child Health Team
Location: 25 Gap Road, Alice Springs
Telephone: 08 8958 4510