Alukura is a women’s only place that provides a range of culturally appropriate health services to Aboriginal women. It is situated in a purpose-built facility on the outskirts of Alice Springs, in a safe, women-friendly environment.
Congress Alukura is a women’s health and maternal and child health care centre developed in the 1980’s to address the concerns of Aboriginal women in Central Australia.
Services include the provision of culturally appropriate antenatal, postnatal and women’s health care through our Maternity Service and Women’s Health Clinic.
We provide sexual health education to young women aged 10 to 20 through group sessions in schools, youth organisations, town camps, remote communities and at Alukura. We can also provide individual sessions.
Congress Alukura includes the Family Partnership Program, which provides intensive home visitations to support mothers, their babies and family until the child is two years old.
Congress Alukura employs General Practitioners, Midwives, Women’s Health Nurses, Aboriginal Health Practitioners, Nurse Home Visitors, Aboriginal Liaison Officers, Aboriginal Community Workers, Educators, Traditional Grandmothers and administrative support staff.
- Well women's checks - including Pap Smear, Education and other general health tests
- STI checks - testing for HIV/AIDS and Sexually Transmitted Infections
- Contraception and fertility advice
- Antenatal care - caring for mother and baby during pregnancy
- Postnatal care - caring for mother and baby up to six weeks after baby is born
- Breastfeeding support
- Weekly O&G specialist clinic
- Young Women's Community Health Education Program
- Antenatal education - information for pregnant women
- Australian Nurse Family Partnership Program - home visiting program for women during pregnancy and motherhood up until baby turns two
Alukura Grandmothers & Aunties Program
The Alukura Grandmothers and Aunties Program provides a space for women of all ages to come together and share their stories and experiences on:
- Women's Health
- And much more
The Alukura Grandmothers and Aunties are women who are experienced mothers, well respected, and are also strong leaders in the community.
The Alukura Grandmothers and Aunties are there to share their knowledge and skills with those who are interested. If you are interested in coming along to take part in the Alukura Grandmothers and Aunties Program, please give us a call or come in and talk to an Alukura staff member.
If you decide to get involved, you will have the opportunity to take part in the following activities:
- Cultural learning focusing on women's health and birthing practices
- Cooking and other lifeskills activities
- Basket making, dot painting and storytelling
- Supporting women in the community and raising awareness on women's health issues
- Sharing knowledge about birthing and breastfeeding, post-natal care and bringing baby home
- Learning about women's health and birthing practices.
Alukura Aunties and Alukura Grandmothers are working together to provide Cultural Activities and Healthy Lifestyle Workshops for Alukura Mothers. Women who take part will come and sit down with our Alukura Aunties and Grandmothers.
Location: Percy Court, Alice Springs (Head south on the Stuart Highway towards the Airport)
Telephone: 08 8953 2727